BY NOBUHIKO AKIYOSHI
galrie a director
At this exhibition, Masayuki Kinuta, who has devoted himself to stitching layers upon layers of fabric to make all-handmade works that display his expression of animals, will be presenting the life of black cats, a quite popular creature. The individuality of these cats, living a life free of flattery with glimmers of solitude. The black cat is the most mysterious of all. Their expressions, posture, sensuality, all perceived and crafted by the hands of Kinuta. Through the continuation of fine stitching and delicate work, the numerous shapes of these creatures living in the now are created. In particular, Kinuta places the most importance on their unreadable expressions. At this exhibition, one can see mother cats moving with the neck of their child in the mouth, kittens being nursed by their mother and the life of cats living as a family. Visit this exhibition to view various gradients of black, patches of quality materials such as American and British wool and cashmere, stitched together to present an expression of shadow through fabric.
- Born in Nara Prefecture, 1974. Having a mycologist as a father, Kinuta has had a keen interest in plants, animals and insects since his childhood days. He began producing works in 1993 and takes contracted production commissions with fashion brands. In 2020, things came to a stop due to COVID. “Am I producing works that I want to express?” In 2021, he is presenting works under his own name for the first time in 13 years.
With observations skills inherited from his dad as his base, he creates numerous completely handmade animals out of cloth. Being a little more than cloth, the material he uses is from sample suit material made in Bishu (the central region of Japan). The sample fabrics he uses are borderline antique linen, which he uses to connect the finest of shreds, expressing an shockingly realistic-looking dynamism. Cats that stop moments in their tracks, owls with piercing gazes, rabbits that give off a mysterious charm. These numerous works contain the mysterious appeal that just about anybody felt when looking at animals during their childhood, as well as “cloth carvings” with expressions that can’t be described in words, something that Kinuta places the most importance on. He is currently presenting new works at galleries within the metropolitan area while also exhibiting works in all areas across Japan.
- In his notebook
- When a new creation begins, he buys a notebook made by MOLESKIN. The captures a fragment of inspiration he draws the path to the completion of artwork. Newspaper clippings, musicians photos, animated characters, drawings, poetry, imaginary creatures, biological imitations recorded like pictorial books, bits of cloth, Design drawings etc.
- Open gallery
- You can see the work on the following schedule. We look forward to seeing you there.
* Appointment is not required.
- Open gallery
- 2023.1.7 SAT - 1.15 SUN12:00 - 18:00
※ Please be sure to wear a mask to take care of cough etiquette when you come in the space. Please also use hand sanitizer at the entrance. Gallery staff will wear a mask to welcome you.
- Gallery Direction
- Nobuhiko Akiyoshi